Interesting facts bout Mrs. B.:
- She is married to a professional trumpet player.
- She has 5 children, ages 12-22.
- She has lived in Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, New York, France, and Switzerland.
- She has 4 college degrees: two in Education, one in American Sign Language, and a Masters Degree in Curriculum and Instruction.
- She has written two books.
- She is a 3-time cancer survivor.
- She has taught all levels pre-K through college, but she loves 2nd grade the best.
Mrs. B. uses sign language in class A LOT and there are some really good reasons for it. Here are some of those reasons:
Research shows that using signs helps students...
- become faster readers and better spellers.
- understand brand new math concepts.
- make important connections in their brains.
- communicate better.
- have a whole bunch of fun while they learn.
Here is Mrs. B.'s favorite quote:
"At one magical instant in your early childhood, the page of a book -- that string of confused, alien ciphers -- shivered into meaning. Words spoke to you, gave up their secrets: at that moment, whole universes opened up. You become, irrevocably, a reader." -Alberto Manguel